Is there anything worse than being tired all the time? It robs you of the joy in life and makes everything you do a chore. If you suffer from constant exhaustion, you may suffer from a condition called sleep apnea. This sleeping disorder makes it practically impossible for you to get the restful night’s sleep you need. Take control of your sleep and get back to resting soundly with help from Brar Dentistry.
What is Sleep Apnea?
Sleep apnea is a sleeping disorder where you stop breathing periodically. The lapse in breathing causes you to jerk awake, and these constant interruptions to your sleep won’t allow you to reach the deep levels of rest that you need to recharge your body.
There are two kinds of sleep apnea.
Central Sleep Apnea – The interruption to your breathing is caused by an issue with the part of the brain that controls breathing while you sleep. This area of the brain fails to send the message to your lungs and diaphragm to continue breathing. This is a cognitive problem, and Dr. Brar can help you find the treatment you need for relief.
Obstructive Sleep Apnea – This is the more common of the two types. With obstructive sleep apnea, your breathing interruptions are caused by a blockage of your airway. This blockage causes you to jerk awake, and just like with central sleep apnea, you will not be able to reach deep sleep. Dr. Brar can help you with this type of sleep apnea without referring you to another doctor.
What Causes Obstructive Sleep Apnea?
Anyone of any age, race, or gender can be afflicted by this disorder, but there are certain factors that put you at a higher risk for developing obstructive sleep apnea:
- Age – adults over the age of 40
- Body Type – an unhealthy amount of weight on your body
- Large Neck – a large neck (at least 17 inches for men, 16 inches for women) means more biological material in your throat to cause blockage
What are The Symptoms of Sleep Apnea?
You may suffer from sleep apnea and not even know it. We see patients like this regularly. Here are some symptoms that indicate you may have this sleeping disorder.
- Chronic Snoring – This is the most recognizable symptom. Many who suffer from sleep apnea have an extreme snoring issue that often will keep the bed partner (and anyone else in the home) up at night.
- Fatigue – The lack of sleep that accompanies this sleeping disorder will leave you feeling drained and exhausted during the day.
- Moodiness – Being tired can lead to mood swings.
- Sore Throat – With sleep apnea, your body forces air through your airway to clear the blockage, which can cause a sore throat.
How Can Dr. Brar Help Me?
The first step is diagnosing your disorder. Dr. Brar has spent years training on how to identify and treat obstructive sleep apnea. First, you will have a sleep test conducted. This will give us the data we need to identify and diagnose your sleep apnea.
If you have central sleep apnea, we will consult with one of our trusted partners to get you the care you need to get back to sleeping well. For obstructive sleep apnea, we can help you with some lifestyle choices or a sleep appliance to alleviate your symptoms. We’ll work with you to develop a plan to get you back to sleeping soundly the whole night through.
Sleep apnea can rob you of the rest you need. Call the nearest Brar Dentistry location to get help. You can reach us at 630-948-5583 to schedule your appointment. Dr. Brar has the knowledge and skills necessary to help you get past this disorder.